Lesson 1: Up the ante to organic butter and eggs.
Ideally you should be consuming as many USDA organic food products as possible, however, if you only get one organic food it should be butter. This is because it is a highly concentrated form of milk. It is not uncommon for non-organic butter to have up to 20 times the level of pesticides of non-organic fruits and vegetables.
Now that you've reached the intermediate level, it's time to move up to organic pastured free-range eggs. Compared to official USDA nutrient data for commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture contain:
· 2/3 more vitamin A
· 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
· 3 times more vitamin E
· 7 times more beta carotene
Lesson 2: Eliminate all fish from your diet, unless you know they have been tested and are mercury free.
Fish, whether farm-raised or caught from the ocean or freshwater sources, should now be avoided, as almost all fish are contaminated with mercury, PCBs and DDT. The only exceptions to this rule are fish like sardines and anchovies, as they are small enough to have minimal contamination.
Other fish that are less likely to be contaminated with high levels of mercury are:
· Summer Flounder
· Wild Pacific Salmon
Lesson 3: Get some valuable omega-3 fats from healthy meat.
In a side-by-side comparison, they determined that grass-fed beef was:
· Higher in beta-carotene
· Higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
· Higher in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin
· Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium
· Higher in total omega-3s
· A healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (1.65 vs 4.84)
· Higher in CLA (cis-9 trans-11), a potential cancer fighter
Reconsider Strict Vegan/Vegetarian Diet
There are certainly justifications for choosing to be a vegetarian, but using science to argue that vegetarianism is the correct diet for everyone is fatally flawed. Many vegetarians use The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell to justify their decision. To summarize my objections to the China Study: I'm not opposed to vegetarianism; I'm opposed to any position that preaches one specific diet for everyone, and that's the foundation of the China Study.
Campbell maintains that no one should eat animal protein. He insists that all animal protein will cause diseases like cancer and refuses to acknowledge that many people's health fails miserably when following his program, and that when they include animal protein their health dramatically improves.
We believe your diet must be individualized. Some can thrive on very little animal protein, but when you remove ALL animal foods, you can easily run into trouble. You have to be very vigilant and keep close tabs on your health when you make a decision to exclude all sources of animal protein from your diet. As can be predicted by nutritional typing, about one third of the population actually thrives on a vegetarian diet. But that leaves about two-thirds who do not... Protein types in particular will fare poorly on a strict vegetarian diet.
Lesson 4: Avoid soy.
Soy being a "health food" has become one of the largest, and perhaps one of the most dangerous, myths within the health food industry. Truth is, unfermented soy is not a healthy option, and I recommend avoiding all soy products unless they're fermented or sprouted. Although fermented soy has many beneficial properties, non-fermented soy products contain:
Phytoestrogens (isoflavones) genistein and daidzein, which mimic and sometimes block the hormone estrogen
Enzyme Inhibitors, which hinder protein digestion
Isoflavones which can impair thyroid function
Haemaggluttin, which causes red blood cells to clump together and inhibits oxygen take-up and growth
Phytates, which block your body's uptake of minerals
High amounts of omega-6 fat, which is pro-inflammatory
You should therefore avoid tofu, soy protein products and soy milk. If you use protein powders, it's important to avoid soy protein. Soy baby formula should NEVER be used for infants as soy formula contains the hormonal equivalent of about five birth control pills a day. Numerous studies have found that non-fermented soy products can:
Contribute to thyroid disorders, especially in women
Contribute to early puberty
Lesson 5: Avoid pasteurized dairy.
It is clear that most people benefit from avoiding commercial milk that is loaded with hormones, pesticides and antibiotics. However, even if you are able to obtain organic milk that is free of these contaminants, you are still left with a food that is pasteurized and homogenized.
Some people have milk allergies. This is separate from a lactose intolerance which is merely an inability to digest lactose resulting in loose stools. Typically this is due to the protein casein. If you have a true milk allergy it is best for you to avoid dairy products entirely, even organic pastured raw dairy.
Lesson 1: Only eat high quality vegetables.
At the intermediate level, I recommend that all of your vegetables be organic, and preferably locally-grown. Organic vegetable varieties will decrease your exposure to dangerous pesticides, and increase your nutrient intake as organics have been scientifically proven to contain as much as much as two to five times more essential nutrients compared to non-organic vegetables. Most people agree that they also taste much better. It is important to remember though that nearly any non-organic vegetable is better than no vegetable at all.
Lesson 2: Avoid all grains.
Most people's health is improved by avoiding all grains. You can obtain most of your fiber from vegetables, which is a far healthier choice. Additional foods to eliminate at this level are:
· Corn: It is best to avoid all corn products, including popcorn and corn chips. Corn is not a vegetable but a grain! Corn and corn products are often difficult to digest and can contain mold toxins. One in three people are allergic to mold, and even small amounts of exposure to these mycotoxins (fungal toxins) can cause a range of health problems, including cancer, heart disease, asthma, multiple sclerosis and diabetes. Please avoid all foods with corn listed in the first five ingredients.
Additionally and importantly, nearly all corn products in the American market contain genetically engineered corn, which has additional health hazards, besides those associated with regular corn.
· Potatoes: Potatoes will raise insulin levels beyond what would be considered ideal in most people. If you do not have problems with weight, high blood pressure, diabetes, or high cholesterol, they can be used with a protein meal. Try to avoid commercially prepared French-fries entirely. They are an extremely toxic food, as they contain 100 percent trans-fatty acids.
· Wheat: You should have avoided or at least limited all gluten and wheat products in the beginning phase of this program. If you finished that phase and seem to tolerate wheat and do not suffer with high insulin challenges, and are not a protein nutritional type, then you may reintroduce organic whole wheat products into your diet.
Lesson 3: Retrain your body's response to sweets.
If you are overweight, you have likely trained your hormone system to respond very aggressively to sweets. As soon as anything sweet hits your mouth your body will instantly release insulin. This occurs even when it does not need it, such as when you are using low calorie sweeteners. Pavlov proved this principle over 100 years ago.
He began to feed his dogs in association with the ringing of a bell. After a certain time the dogs were shown to salivate profusely in association with the ringing bell even when the actual sight or smell of food was not present. Pavlov regarded this salivation as being a conditioned reflex and designated the process by which the dogs had picked up this reflex classical conditioning.
You have also experienced this conditioning. You've developed a link between your taste buds and your brain that will cause your body to produce insulin the moment you eat anything sweet, even if it is not grains or sugar. This will sabotage your efforts to lose weight successfully, as you will keep on having cravings for sugar and grains.
Refined sugar can also cause a physical addiction, as it has been found to be far more addictive than cocaine -- one of the most addictive and harmful substances currently known. Researchers speculate that the sweet receptors (two protein receptors located on your tongue), which evolved in ancestral times when the diet was very low in sugar, have not adapted to modern times' high-sugar consumption.
Therefore, the abnormally high stimulation of these receptors by a sugar-rich diet generates excessive reward signals in your brain, which have the potential to override normal self-control mechanisms, and thus lead to a very real addiction.
Since you've made many of the essential changes for fat consumption in the beginner phase, the intermediate phase instructions are quite simple:
·As we've said in the carbohydrate section for this level, never eat commercially prepared French-fries. They are one of the most toxic foods you could eat. Most contain 100 percent trans fatty acids.
· Eliminate margarines, as they are another source of trans fatty acids.
· You should regularly be consuming krill oil regularly by now, as it is one of the few and best sources of omega-3 fatty acids that most people are sorely lacking in their diet but are essential to optimal health.
· Olive oil is not only acceptable but highly recommended as it has a fat in it called squalene. This is a potent antioxidant and will protect the fish oil from going rancid (becoming oxidized) once it is in your body.
· Avocados, walnuts, egg yolks, coconut oil and butter are additional sources of acceptable fats.
Lesson 1: It's time to move up to a reverse osmosis water filtration system!
Reverse osmosis, like distillation, creates fairly acidic water, and it also strips the water of minerals. Additionally, some contend that R/O destabilized the structure of the water, and the system has other drawbacks as well. It's expensive, and it wastes water. However these concerns are fairly easily addressed by adding a high quality source of mineral salts like Himalayan Salt into the processed water. And there are systems that only lose about a gallon of water for every water produced.
Avoid purchasing the one-gallon cloudy plastic (PVC) containers from your grocery store as they transfer far too many chemicals into the water. The five-gallon containers and the clear bottles (polyethylene) are a much better plastic and will not give your water that awful plastic taste.
If your local water supply is NOT fluoridated, you may opt to stick with a high quality carbon filter system.
If you can afford it you might want to consider a whole house carbon system which will remove the majority of the fluoride in the water as it has a far longer time to remain in contact with the water. They are more expensive but can be a good investment for your family's health as high quality water is one of the most important parts of your program.
Beware: Drinking from plastic bottles poses health risks
The plastic often used to make water bottles contains a variety of health-harming chemicals that can easily leach out and contaminate the water, such as:
· Cancer-causing PFOAs
· PBDEs (flame retardant chemicals), which have been linked to reproductive problems and altered thyroid levels
· The reproductive toxins, phthalates
· BPA, which disrupts the endocrine system by mimicking the female hormone estrogen
If you leave your water bottle in a hot car, or reuse it, your exposure is magnified because heat and stress increase the amount of chemicals that leach out of the plastic. So the container your water comes in needs to receive just as much attention as the water itself, and plastic is simply not a wise choice from a health perspective … not to mention the extreme amounts of toxic waste produced!
Lesson 2: Limit chemical exposure from your shower water.
Most people do not recognize that their shower is a significant source of chlorine exposure, but contaminants in your shower water get absorbed through your skin. This is just as hazardous to your health as ingesting them, and sometimes even worse. It is best to put a filter on your showerhead. If you take a bath, fill it up from the shower. A filter is probably not necessary if you obtain your water from a well. Remember, you should have a reverse osmosis system for your drinking water if you have a water softener.
Lesson 3: Avoid fluoride.
Did you know that nearly all of Europe used to add fluoride to their water supply, but after studying the issue more carefully, most of them decided to remove it?
Fluoride is in fact a systemic POISON that:
Inactivates 62 different enzymes
Causes genetic damage
Increases lead absorption
Increases the incidence of cancer and tumor growth
Increases the aging process
Interrupts DNA repair-enzyme activity
Disrupts your immune system
Lowers thyroid function
Reduces IQ, and impairs learning and memory processes
Other sources of fluoride that you want to limit or eliminate to reduce your exposure include:
Fluoride-containing pharmaceutical drugs
Mechanically de-boned meat and instant tea
Toothpaste and mouthwash
Pesticide residue on food
Food and beverages processed with fluoridated water
Soy baby formulas
Lesson 4: Begin to eliminate all beverages but pure water and vegetable juice.
In terms of beverages other than water, we recommend starting to cut down and eliminate them. You should already have eliminated all types of soft drinks in the beginning phase, but if you were not completely successful, please make an effort to eliminate them at this point. In the advanced phase, the only recommended beverages are water, vegetable juice, and breast milk for infants. To make it easier, choose one beverage to eliminate and focus on that for a month before proceeding to the next.
There are three main reasons why you will want to consider incorporating vegetable juicing into your optimal health program:
Lesson 5: Eliminate Beer
Beer should be eliminated entirely if you have high uric acid levels. The yeast and all that's used to make beer work together to make beer a powerful uric acid trigger.
The classic "beer belly syndrome," is quite similar to metabolic syndrome, and includes abdominal obesity, hypertriglyceridemia (high triglycerides), high blood pressure, and even insulin resistance. So beer consumption is also something to definitely consider when you're watching your weight and trying to improve your health.
The ideal range for uric acid lies between 3 to 5.5 mg per dl. Above this range your risk of developing high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and kidney disease correlate quite well.
Lesson 1: Increase the beneficial bacteria in your diet.
Maintaining a healthy gut flora and following sound dietary principles are the best ways, we've found, to promote optimal health One of the most profound health strategies you can implement would be to optimize your gut flora. Eliminating sugars, grains and processed foods is a powerful first step in this process Removing sugars will help increase beneficial bacteria and decrease pathogenic ones.
Did you know that 90 percent of the genetic material in your body is not yours? It is from the bacteria that are primarily living in your gut. There are about 100 trillion bacteria in your gut and you only have 10 trillion of your cells, so collectively they outnumber you 10 to 1. These bacteria provide a large number of incredibly important benefits such as:
· Optimizing your immune system and helps you resist infections
· Helping you digest your food
· Help detoxify heavy metals and chemical you have been exposed to
· Important source of B vitamins and vitamin K2
· Balances your nervous system and is an important source of neurotransmitters
Probiotics are good bacteria; the essential inhabitants of your gut that help to control the yeast and bad bacteria that also coexist in your gut. They're also crucial for proper digestion of food and absorption of nutrients.
While a high potency probiotics was recommended in the beginning stage, at this point in the program we strongly advise switching over to fermented foods, like fermented vegetables. You can purchase these (just make sure they're traditionally fermented and NOT pasteurized), or better yet you can easily and inexpensively make your own and save loads of money by preparing your own..
With beneficial bacteria it is in many cases a numbers game. Two high potency probiotic capsules can supply about 100 billion organisms. However if you take those two capsules and properly ferment a quart of vegetables as discussed in the video above, then you can massively increase the numbers and get about one hundred times the amount. So a typical 2-3 ounce serving can provide up to 10 TRILLION bacteria or about 10 percent of the entire bacteria population in your gut!
When starting fermented foods however it is best to start very slowly, like one half teaspoon a day and gradually working up to several ounces a day over 1-2 weeks depending on your tolerance. Some people will pass gas during the adjustment period but this is a temporary response.
Lesson 2: You can use supplements to help relieve irregular bowel movements.
Bowel movements aren't necessarily the most pleasant things to think about, but it's healthy to have two to three bowel movements a day. Ideally, they should be effortless, odorless and not sink to the bottom of your toilet bowl.
· Flaxseeds: Our first choice would be organic psyllium. You can also use freshly ground organic flaxseeds. You can take one to six tablespoons per day. Psyllium and flax have water-soluble fibers, which are very effective at relieving constipation. Additionally, flax is a food and a source of beneficial omega-3 fats.
· Magnesium: This can be helpful to temporarily restore a healthy frequency of bowel movements. Start your dose at one 500 mg tablet or capsule twice a day. Malate is the preferred form, but glycinate and citrate also work quite nicely. You can increase this to four tablets twice a day (two grams) if necessary. You can go up to eight per day in divided doses for severe cases. Diarrhea is the only side effect of magnesium, and you can easily reduce the dose if this occurs.
It's important not to use magnesium on a long-term basis, as it will cause imbalances in the calcium/magnesium ratio in your body. If the magnesium does not work, you can use Aloe Vera capsules instead. However using the fermented vegetables will radically improve bowel movements in the majority of people using them.
Lesson 3: Use vitamin E to maximize the benefits of fish oil and vitamin C to help with stress or the effects of heavy exercise.
Please beware that not all vitamin E is equal. Many do not know that the term "vitamin E" actually refers to a family of at least eight fat-soluble antioxidant compounds, divided into two groups of molecules: tocopherols (which are considered the "true" vitamin E) and tocotrienols. Each of the tocopherol and tocotrienol subfamilies contains four different forms: Alpha-, Beta-, Gamma-, and Delta-. Each one of these subgroups has its own unique biological effects.
Ideally, vitamin E should be consumed in the broader family of mixed natural tocopherols and tocotrienols, (also referred to as full-spectrum vitamin E) to get the maximum benefits. Unfortunately, the vitamin E most often referred to and sold in most stores is a synthetic form of the vitamin, which really should NOT be used if you want to reap any of its health benefits.
You can tell what you're buying by carefully reading the label. Natural vitamin E is always listed as the "d-" form (d-alpha-tocopherol, d-beta-tocopherol, etc.). Synthetic vitamin E is listed as "dl-" forms.
Your body can easily distinguish between natural and synthetic vitamins, and natural vitamin E is between two and three times as bioactive as the same amount of synthetic vitamin E.
If you are consuming one pound of vegetables for every 50 pounds of body weight, you will receive a large variety of antioxidants from the vegetables so it's not as important to take a vitamin E supplement.
You might want to also consider vitamin C, especially around times of heavy exercise or stress. When using vitamin C, it is important to remember that it is a water-soluble vitamin and ideally should be taken at least three times a day. If you are highly sensitive to vitamin C you may experience diarrhea. If that happens, simply lower your dosage.
Lesson 4: Consider astaxanthin to boost overall health and enhance exercise performance
I know it is a mouthful to say, but astaxanthin has recently jumped to the front of the line in terms of its status as an antioxidant "supernutrient," becoming the focus of a large and growing number of peer-reviewed scientific studies. Natural astaxanthin is produced only by the microalgae Haematococcus pluvialis when its water supply dries up, forcing it to protect itself from ultraviolet radiation.
If you ever wondered what caused pink flamingos to be pink, it is astaxanthin. There are only two main sources of natural astaxanthin—the microalgae that produce it, and the sea creatures that consume the algae (such as salmon, shellfish, and krill).
Astaxanthin, while of the carotenoids family, is FAR more potent than beta-carotene, alpha-tocopherol, lycopene and lutein, other members of this chemical family. It exhibits VERY STRONG free radical scavenging activity and protects your cells, organs and body tissues from oxidative damage.
Dosing Recommendations to Give Your Health a Turbo Boost
Krill naturally contains astaxanthin, which helps protects it highly perishable omega-3 fats from oxidation. However, new research suggests you could enjoy even MORE benefits by further increasing your astaxanthin, even if you are already taking a krill oil supplement. There have been no adverse reactions found for people taking astaxanthin. It is very safe and non-toxic.
Lesson 5: Ubiquinol (CoQ10) can benefit your health even if you're not taking a statin drug
As you age, you progressively lose the ability to make the vitally important antioxidant, the reduced form of coenzyme Q10, called Ubiquinol. This is absolutely critical to protect your mitochondria and allow them to make ATP to give you the energy you need to not feel fatigued. Ubiquinol is an important stabilizer and can help counteract mitochondrial toxicity.
Your mitochondria are little organelles—found in the cytoplasm of the cell—inside of which energy is formed. This energy is called adenosine triphosphate or ATP. Without ATP, the cell dies. Toxic exposure can cause mitochondrial dysfunction, and once the mitochondria dies, you get tissue impairment, followed by pathology.
There are also many experts in aging that believe optimizing your mitochondria are one of the most powerful strategies you can have to extend your life. There is certainly overwhelming animal studies that suggest this.
Additionally, one in four Americans over the age of 45 are currently taking a statin drug. Unfortunately, few are aware of the need to take coenzyme Q10 along with it, to buffer against some of the most devastating side effects of the drug. If you're taking a statin drug, you MUST take Coenzyme Q10 as a supplement. Statin users need at least 100 milligrams (mg), preferably 200 mg, of high-quality CoQ10 or ubiquinol daily. You cannot get enough of it through your diet.
Most of us are exposed to a number of mitochondrial toxins, such as insecticides, pesticides, mercury and other heavy metals, radiation and EMF. Ubiquinol can be an important resource to help reduce the toxicity from these exposures.
Lesson 1: Practice techniques, such as prayer or meditation to control anxiety and stress, eliminate self-doubt and negativity, and instill self-control and peace of mind.
To truly succeed at this nutrition plan, I highly recommend you work on overcoming your emotional barriers, whether they're based on life's anxiety-factors or emotional traumas.
Lesson 2: Take your time, and chew your food.
It's very important to carve out time to eat at a leisurely pace, and to chew your food properly. Americans, in general, tend to eat under a state of stress and anxiety. While under stress, your heart rate goes up, your blood pressure rises, and blood is shunted away from your midsection, going to your arms, legs, and head for quick thinking, fighting, or fleeing.
All of these changes are referred to as the physiological stress response. Under those circumstances, your digestion completely shuts down. So a major problem with eating while your body is under the stress response is that you could be eating the healthiest food in the world, yet you won't be able to fully digest and assimilate that food, and your body will not be able to burn calories effectively. The stress response causes a number of detrimental events in your body, including:
· Decreased nutrient absorption
· Decreased oxygenation to your gut
· As much as four times less blood flow to your digestive system, which leads to decreased metabolism
· Decreased enzymatic output in your gut – as much as 20,000-fold!
Many nutrients are also excreted during stress, particularly:
· Water-soluble vitamins
· Macrominerals like calcium (calcium excretion can increase as much as 60 to 75 mg within an hour of a stressful event)
As if that's not enough, your cholesterol and triglycerides also go up, while gut flora populations decrease. You're also more likely to experience increased sensitivity to food and gastroesophageal reflux, or heartburn. But perhaps most importantly, when your body is under the stress response, your cortisol and insulin levels rise. These two hormones tend to track each other, and when your cortisol is consistently elevated under a chronic low-level stress response, you'll likely notice that you have difficulty losing weight or building muscle.
Additionally, if your cortisol is chronically elevated, you'll tend to gain weight around your midsection. We've known for some time that body fat, and especially visceral fat (the fat that gathers around your internal organs, around your midsection) is a major contributing factor to developing diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
Try to chew your food to a liquid form and then swallow it. This will predigest your food with the enzymes in your saliva. It will also provide neurological stimulation of your stomach and pancreas to increase their acid and digestive enzyme production.
Avoid chewing gum for this same reason. Chewing gum will fool your body to secrete valuable digestive juices unnecessarily. This will worsen your digestion and your health. It's also helpful not to talk while you are chewing your food as this interferes with optimal digestion.
Lesson 3: Avoid drinking too much water during your meals.
Avoid drinking fluids with your meals if possible, as this will dilute the gastric digestive contents and make the food more difficult to digest. A few sips of water during the meal is fine.
Lesson 4: Keep your kitchen clean -- the non-toxic way.
A food scientist at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University has worked out the recipe for a healthy sanitizing solution. All you need is three percent hydrogen peroxide, the same strength available at the drug store for gargling or disinfecting wounds, plain white or apple cider vinegar, and a pair of brand new spray bottles like the kind you use to dampen laundry before ironing.
Review this article on the six most contaminated surfaces in your home and consider using these solutions:
· Clean your veggies: If you're cleaning vegetables or fruit, spritz them well with both the vinegar and the hydrogen peroxide, then rinse them off under running water. It doesn't matter which you use first -- you can spray with the vinegar then the hydrogen peroxide, or with the hydrogen peroxide followed by the vinegar. You won't get any lingering taste of vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, and neither is toxic to you if a small amount remains on the produce. Rinsing with HOT water has been shown to be far more effective at removing pesticides compared to cold water.
· Get rid of e.coli bacteria: The paired sprays work exceptionally well for sanitizing counters and other food preparation surfaces including wood cutting boards. In tests run at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pairing the two mists killed virtually all salmonella, shigella, and E. coli bacteria on heavily-contaminated food and surfaces when used in this fashion. This spray combination is more effective at killing these potentially lethal bacteria than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner.
· Clean your kitchen on a regular basis: Be sure to regularly clean your kitchen countertops, sink drains, refrigerator handles and faucet handles. This should also be done immediately after you handle any raw meat.
· Clean your sponges and dishcloths: Your kitchen sponge is likely one of the most contaminated objects in your kitchen. Fortunately it turns out that placing that sponge in the microwave for two minutes is likely enough to kill 99 percent of the bacteria hidden in the sponge.
Zapping sponges in the microwave every other day will decontaminate them better than putting them in the dishwasher.
If you do use your microwave for this purpose PLEASE be careful to make sure the sponge is wet. If you put it dry into the microwave you might cause a fire and smoke up your house. Additionally the oven works by causing the water in the sponge to turn to hot steam which is what kills the bacteria.
Lesson 5: Learn about the health dangers of cell phones, wireless internet and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.
As cell phone use continues to grow unabated, a growing body of researchers is speaking out against the technology, warning that it may have serious biological side effects that must be acknowledged and remedied.
Experts in the area of the biological effects of electromagnetic frequencies (EMF) and wireless technologies believe there's virtually no doubt that cell phones and related gadgets are capable of causing not only cancer but contributing to a wide variety of other conditions, from depression and diabetes to heart irregularities and impaired fertility. Researchers have now identified numerous mechanisms of harm, which explain how electromagnetic fields impact your cells and damages your DNA.
On May 31, 2011, the World Health Organization (WHO)/International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) issued a report admitting cell phones might indeed cause cancer, classifying radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as "possibly carcinogenic to humans" (Class 2B). The classification came in part in response to research showing wireless telephones increase the risk for brain cancer.
An analysis of the range of known mechanisms of action, including DNA effects, was published in November 2010 in "Non-Thermal Effects and Mechanisms of Interaction Between Electromagnetic Fields and Living Matter." Furthermore, the mobile industry's own research in the 13-country Interphone study showed a 40 percent increased risk of brain cancer from 1,640 or more hours of cell phone use, and independent Swedish research published in 2007 showed a 540 percent increased risk of brain cancer from greater than 2,000 hours of cell phone use.
So please, be aware that there is already robust scientific evidence that cell phones and other wireless devices pose significant health risks to all of us—especially to children and pregnant women. You can minimize your exposure to electromagnetic radiation from cell phones and other wireless devices by heeding the following advice:
· Children Should Always Avoid Using Cell Phones: Barring a life-threatening emergency, children should not use a cell phone, or a wireless device of any type.
· Reduce Your Cell Phone Use: Turn your cell phone off more often. Reserve it for emergencies or important matters. As long as your cell phone is on, it emits radiation intermittently, even when you are not actually making a call. If you're pregnant, avoiding or reducing your cell phone use may be especially important.
· Use a Land Line at Home and at Work: Although more and more people are switching to using cell phones as their exclusive phone contact, it is a dangerous trend and you can choose to opt out of the madness. SKYPE offers a portable number via your computer that can plug into any Ethernet port while traveling.
· Reduce or Eliminate Your Use of Other Wireless Devices: You would be wise to cut down your use of these devices. Just as with cell phones, it is important to ask yourself whether or not you really need to use them as often as you do. And most importantly, do not even consider having any electronic or wireless devices in the bedroom that will interfere with the quality of your sleep.
If you must use a portable home phone, use the older kind that operates at 900 MHz. They are not safer during calls, but at least many of them do not broadcast constantly even when no call is being made. Note the only way to truly be sure if there is an exposure from your cordless phone is to measure with an electrosmog meter, and it must be one that goes up to the frequency of your portable phone (so old meters won't help much). As many portable phones are 5.8 Gigahertz, we recommend you look for RF meters that go up to 8 Gigahertz, the highest range now available in a meter suitable for consumers.
Alternatively you can be very careful with the base station placement as that causes the bulk of the problem since it transmits signals 24/7, even when you aren't talking. So if you can keep the base station at least three rooms away from where you spend most of your time, and especially your bedroom, they may not be as damaging to your health. Another option is to just simply turn the portable phone off, only using it when you specifically need the convenience of moving about while on a call.
Ideally it would be helpful to turn off your base station every night before you go to bed.
· Use Your Cell Phone Only Where Reception is Good: The weaker the reception, the more power your phone must use to transmit, and the more power it uses, the more radiation it emits, and the deeper the dangerous radio waves penetrate into your body. Ideally, you should only use your phone with full bars and good reception.
· Avoid Carrying Your Phone on Your Body as that merely maximizes any potential exposure. Ideally put it in your purse or carrying bag. Placing a cell phone in a shirt pocket over the heart is asking for trouble, as is placing it in a man's pocket if he seeks to preserve his fertility.
· Don't Assume One Cell Phone is Safer than Another: There's no such thing as a "safe" cell phone. This is particularly true for industry promoted SAR ratings, which are virtually useless in measuring the true potential biological danger as most all of the damage is not done by heat transfer, which SAR measures.
· Keep Your Cell Phone Away From Your Body When it is On: The most dangerous place to be, in terms of radiation exposure, is within about six inches of the emitting antenna. You do not want any part of your body within that area.
· Respect Others Who are More Sensitive: Some people who have become sensitive can feel the effects of others' cell phones in the same room, even when it is on but not being used. If you are in a meeting, on public transportation, in a courtroom or other public places, such as a doctor's office, keep your cell phone turned off out of consideration for the 'second hand radiation' effects. Children are also more vulnerable, so please avoid using your cell phone near children.
· Use Safer Headset Technology: Wired headsets will certainly allow you to keep the cell phone farther away from your body. However, if a wired headset is not well-shielded -- and most of them are not -- the wire itself acts as an antenna attracting ambient radio waves and transmitting radiation directly to your brain.
Make sure that the wire used to transmit the signal to your ear is shielded.
The best kind of headset to use is a combination shielded wire and air-tube headset. These operate like a stethoscope, transmitting the information to your head as an actual sound wave; although there are wires that still must be shielded, there is no wire that goes all the way up to your head.